Dedicated to the Health and Safety of the Personal Space Traveler




Monday, August 23, 2010

More showstoppers for long-duration spaceflight

Journal of Physiology, July 2010... muscle deconditioning is apparently even more pronounced during long-duration spaceflight than previously appreciated. Once again, I wish we knew how to generate that 1G dosage for the "gravity prescription"...

Summary article from the lay press:

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/08/20/trip-mars-turn-astronauts-weaklings/

The news about bone demineralization is a similar story... worse than initially thought.

The news about radiation exposure in space is a similar story.... worse than initially thought.

Are we seeing a pattern here?

1 comment:

  1. Hi, it's just me. Thought I would leave my snarky, non-medical comments on this one.

    It does not surprise me that there is muscle loss, bone loss and radiation problems with long term space flight. My possible solution would be to put the astronauts inside what basically amounts to a giant salad spinner. Once on their way, the crew would be spun up to a 1 g. environment (less if research proves less g's would be effective). They would be spun down before reaching their destination.
    I am sure the centerfuge/gyroscopic effect would be helpful in other systems like life support and guidance.
    Of course, speaking as a non-space professional, I am probably way off the mark.

    ReplyDelete